• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Garmin GTN650 issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a GTN650 in my Archer II and have run into irritating issues that, while not dangerous in my situation, could conceivably be to a pilot flying IMC on an approach. Specifically, I have flown into some airports that trigger the TAWS system alerting me on low terrain. Flying downwind in the pattern at KBID does this and I’ve also had it happen on base for runway 11 at W29 (Bay Bridge). The problem is that once I dismiss the annunciation on the screen, it immediately comes back up again and again (along with the voice annunciation), with no hot-key to disable the TAWS. It was VERY distracting the first time it happened, but I’ve since gotten used to it. The annunciation essentially renders the G650 useless, until I go through the menus to disable it, which nobody is going to do when low and slow in the pattern. Wondering if anyone else here has run into this issue, and whether there’s a solution (besides disabling TAWS).

Latest posts

Back