• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Garmin GNS430AW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been thinking about adding a Garmin GNS 430W to my panel but am put off by the crazy prices that used 20 year old units sell for. For a few thousand dollars more you can get a new Avidyne IFD440 that is vastly nicer and more capable.

I've noticed that you can pick up used 28 volt GNS 430W and the higher powered GNS 430AW for 50-60% the price of the 14-28 volt GNS430W. At that price, 20 year old Garmin technology is price competitive with the $10,000 Avidyne units.

I understand that Garmin doesn't support the 28V GNS430's anymore, however, the units are reliable and unlikely to fail. Plus, depending on what fails, there are private avionic shops that can fix many of the problems of a failed 430 even though the factory no longer supports.

For a few hundred dollars you can pick up a 14v to 28v upconverter so I have been thinking about picking up a cheap 28 volt GNS 430W or 430AW and installing it and the upconverter in my panel. The cost of the 28v unit plus upconverter is still several thousand dollars less than what the dual voltage 14v - 28v units are selling for.

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding how well this might work? Any potential pitfalls?

Latest posts

Back