• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Garmin G5 stack with a Century Autopilot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Be advised:
If you have a PA-28 with an autopilot that uses the Artificial Horizon for one of its inputs (as mine does), you will have to retain your vac system. Why? Read on...

I have a PA-28-181 (Archer II) that has a Century 21 Autopilot. I had hyped myself up thinking I could completely remove my vacuum system and go all G5 with the STC'd G5 stack for certified aircraft available on Aircraft Spruce. Well...that is till I had a casual conversation with a friend who works in an avionics shop who informed me that I could not utterly remove the vac system. After he told me this, I went directly to Garmin to get their official word. (See the quoted block below).

My workaround I suppose would be to move the AH to where my current CDI/GS is.
I would then have both the AH and HSI G5 in the center of the 6 pack, and the vac driven AH to the right of the G5 AH.
I still have analog radios (KX-155's). I wonder if in this arrangement if I'd lose my ability to track a VOR/ILS now that I have the GAD-29B installed?

Any other experiences to share?

...and just for your reading pleasure.
Dear Garmin Support:

I have a question regarding using the G5 stack STC for certified airplanes. I have a Piper Archer, PA-28-181 N8117U.
I am interested in total removal of my Vacuum system.

The Century 21 autopilot uses the DG and AH as inputs.
I am aware that the G5 HSI can interface with the Century 21 via the GAD 29 interface.
But what about the G5 AH? I am not finding anything in G5 documentation denoting that it will interface.
Does this mean that I will need to keep my vacuum AH in order for the Century 21 inputs to be satisfied?

Please advise,

Regards,
Michael Lupo

*** And their reply ****
Michael,

The G5 limitations section does touch on the equipment you will be required to retain. Reference section 2 Limitations. Cannot replace a primary attitude indicator that includes a flight director or is part of an autopilot system...

Latest posts

Back