• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Garmin G5...not worth the $$$

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All right, settle down and put your flame throwers away. I’m entitled to my opinion just like anyone else.

I shelled out the cash for dual G5 install in my Arrow, to connect to my Garmin 650. So far, I’m not impressed. Don’t get me wrong, they’re whiz-bang neato, but I’m not sure it was worth all that cash.

Chief issues (not quite complaints, but...)
- Hard to see (yes, I’m getting old). The displays pack a LOT of info into very small screens. Hard to decipher.
- Auto dimmer is WAY too dim: almost impossible to see at night
- Don’t like chasing the small diamond for glide slope: the needles on my old GI106 are much easier to follow
- Have to fiddle with the 650 to change nav sources for the CDI (GPS/VOR). Bit cumbersome.

There are a few things I love:
- Wind speed & direction
- No more precession
- IAS, TAS and GS readouts

I hope the system grows on me. (I’m sure it will, I have hundreds of hours behind my steam gauges and I’m a creature of habit.) Just not super impressed (so far) for all the cash I dropped.

Pete

Latest posts

Back