• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Garmin 696 For Sale $1,100

daviddancer99

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just installed a 530 so I have to sell my 696. It will come with an Air Gizmos panel dock, remote GPS antenna, XM antenna and a pilot training manual. For another $100 I will perform a fresh database update.

IMG_0574 (2).jpg

Orest @ CYFD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Garmin 696/796 is one of the best values in aviation. Are you really sure you want to sell it?

* Orest

daviddancer99

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no where to mount it. I am already flying with an iPad on my yoke with a Stratus 2 and foreflight

Orest @ CYFD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get an SL-30 for your second radio, and you will have room in your stack. Yes, additional expenditures, but the 696 will work great with your SL-30, nominating frequencies to it. You could also go to a remote transponder. Keep in mind that the 696 is far more reliable than a general purpose tablet.

In any case, just some thoughts to mull around for you.

* Orest

Last edited:

bgmac

Reaction score
Orest, do you have any data on the reliability of tablets vs garmin portables? I to thought about reliability and carry 2 tablets. One for backup and also to be total paperless. It's still cheaper then one 696. Still have yet to have a problem with the tablets 5+ years.

Unit74

Reaction score
That's a decent deal posted here guys. Poor mans glass and its a great unit too.

Unit74

Reaction score
Orest, do you have any data on the reliability of tablets vs garmin portables? I to thought about reliability and carry 2 tablets. One for backup and also to be total paperless. It's still cheaper then one 696. Still have yet to have a problem with the tablets 5+ years.
I fly IFR and not having a back up is horrible planning. I have had mine go down once for overheating. It had something to do with a rouge app running full steam. I had no clue till it shut down VFR over the top.

At first I was like OH cRAp till I pulled out iPad #2 which was already loaded with my flight plan as a preflight option. All was good.

Got rid of the app, all is good now.

So yes, one is none, two is one. Don't fly IFR without a back up iPAd.

Orest @ CYFD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I certainly haven't done a proper survey, just from what I've read and my own personal experience.

I don't use iOS devices, but apparently they are more prone to overheating and shutting down on occasion. iOS folks can advise.

I do use android extensively, handset and tablets. I've never seen them to overheat, but very occasionally apps will hang or crash. Usually you can force close the app and restart it, rarely you have to reboot to keep order. That is fine for casual use, but I would find neither situation suitable when in critical in-air use as a primary or secondary device.

The Garmin 796, I have never seen it crash or stumble in at least a thousand hours of use. My android tablet has excellent daylight readability, but the 796 puts it to shame. Yep, the 796 is more expensive than a tablet, and won't let you play a game or text. But to me it is worth every penny.

So, do I use my tablet/phone in the cockpit. Of course. But it is relegated to a tertiary backup level for charts and EFB, or something to play with on a long flight. My primary reliance is on my panel mount stuff, 796 second, tablet is last.

* Orest

Last edited:

daviddancer99

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Orest about the 696 being more reliable than a tablet but I carry 2 tablets and I also have Foreflight on my iPhone so I have multiple backups. Believe me I would like to keep the 696 but after installing the GNS 530 I just don't have room in the panel without much more expense. This unit will make someone a great addition. I have really enjoyed flying with it. It has features that the 530 does not have like audible terrain warnings.

arkvet

Reaction score
The only times I've had my iPad overheat were when i forgot and left it in the plane on a summer day on the Tarmac. Got in the plane and got the too hot message. Started the plane and leaned the iPad against the air vent in the floor of my 180. It was happy and ready to go before the run up.

If you have are flying and your iPad overheats while flying I feel sorry for your pax if you have any.

I'm VFR only for now but once I finish my IFR I will have 2 iPads synced and both within reach. I'm actually considering the 2nd iPad anyway. That way I can leave my yoke mount on full screen synthetic vision during any IMC and have the 2nd for chart/map/plate, etc.

The 696 is a great GPS though. Especially for someone wanting a more robust and semi permanent application.