• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

G5 HSI & Piper Autocontrol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobinga

Reaction score
I need a little help / clarification. There are several PA-28 & 32 with dual G5's installed. All of the aircraft I have seen pictures of online including the Dakota in the recent Piper Magazine have the Piper Autocontrol or Altimatic autopilot.

Here is my issue, I have a Cherokee 6/300 with a G5 AI, & GTN650 installed. I also have the Piper Auto Control IIIB. I would like to have an additional G5 installed as an HSI and connected to my autopilot.

My Avionics Shop has had multiple conversations with Garmin and they are adiment that the second G5 is not approved for installation when connected to the Autocontrol autopilot through the 1C388 coupler. Garmin is stating that the Autocontrol is not the same as the Century III and is not approved. They reference page 129 of version 13 of the manual and the phrase: "NOTE: For the purposes of this STC, the Piper Altimatic III is not the same as a Century III autopilot and is not compatible or approved." They also state on page 130, that the wiring diagram shows connecting to a Century autopilot.

I would like to know how this hurdle is / was cleared by others.

Thank you.

Latest posts

Back