• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

G5 Heading indication issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pi001

Reaction score
Hey Guys

I’m posting this in the hopes that someone else on the board has had the same / similar issue and has found a resolution.

Backstory. I pulled the trigger on a Dual G5 setup with the GFC 500 AP late last year for my ’76 Archer II. Overall the setup is great and I am really happy with the performance and capability of the solution.

Installed components included G5 AI, G5 HSI, GMU 11, GAD29B, GFC 500 AP and FS210.

The only issue that we are still chasing is that occasionally the heading indicator on both G5’s starts flashing yellow and the heading then starts drifting, sometimes with a difference between both G5’s. This usually corrects itself after about 15 - 30 seconds. The issue usually occurs when in a turn (left or right) and any bank angle. (See video. Apologies for the unsteadiness of the footage. It was bumpy out and I was taking video from my phone.)

I can re-produce this problem although with no consistency. Sometimes a standard rate turn with cause the issue. Sometimes only a 30+ degree turn will. Other times I’ll see things go yellow in a shallow climb.

Talking to the avionics shop and trolling various online forums has not really provided a clear indication of what the issue could be. The GMU11 is installed in the empanage per the Garmin instruction manual. G5’s, GFC, GMU and the GAD are all on the latest software releases. I know that the GMU11 can also be installed in the wingtip. But I’ve also heard / read of some folks having this issue with this location.

Has anyone else with a G5 / GMU11 combo had this issue and managed to get it resolved?

Thanks.

Paul.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back