• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Fuel trailer

waynerjaques

Reaction score
Thinking about a fuel trailer for 100 LL that I can tow on high way. Any one done this and know about size limits and other issues?

jpwamt

Reaction score
I believe the issue comes when hauling flammable liquids that a permit is required and can get pretty expensive. This is why you cant just dump gasoline in a pick up bed fuel tank.

philiplane

A&P, IA, CFI, CFII, MEI,
Reaction score
Transfer Flow, and Aluminum Tank Industries, sell gasoline approved pickup bed style tanks. They are tested and approved to DOT specs and legal for transporting gasoline. They are reasonably priced. I have an ATI 77 gallon tank now, after having a 120 gallon one for years.

There are commercially available fuel trailers in 300-500 gallon sizes but they are pricey.

BGFYankee

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Also make sure that your airport will allow it and if they have requirements for such a thing. We do here at BGF...nothing ridiculous, but worth looking into before just buying something.

wwilkens

Reaction score
I've been doing this for years now at my airport. I do have a DOT compliant tank and pump installed properly in a small trailer. I did have to show the airport manager the compliance papers and then he allowed me to even store it in my hangar behind my plane.
This all started when we had a real dufus for our FBO owner and he always ran out of gas or owned everyone money. Now, I continue to use it along with a 600 gallon bulk tank at my acreage. I can purchase in bulk.