• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Fuel tank screw difficulty

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last night, I went to the hangar to start screwing in my fuel tanks after we've completed the SB1006 stuff. All that is left is to put the screws back in at this point. I learned quickly that it takes time and patience to do it. I used a thin screwdriver to insert into each hole and line up the underlying nut plates, sprayed a bit of corrosion X into each hole and it went swimmingly. I got all the screws into the top, threaded in, snug, except for the (right wing) rearmost right screw - the one farthest to the right in the rear when standing at the leading edge. It just wouldn't bite. I tried every trick I knew and it just wouldn't bite. I ended up having to remove ALL the screws I'd spent the last hour putting in so that I could slide the tank back a bit to troubleshoot. Looks like there is a little pivotable piece with a nut plate inside it - that piece is riveted to the spar. It might be damaged. Not sure yet. I am going to spend some more time on it soon. Is that a replacable part, btw? Something isn't right with this thing.

WHAT A PAIN IN THE ***!!

Latest posts

Back