• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Fuel tank indicator wiring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My '79 PA32-300 has the dual fuel tank system- both outboard and inboard fuel tanks are wired to the same indicator. My right fuel tank gauge has a ground problem. When the radio stack light potentiometer dial is rolled about half way (enough to click the "switch"), the right fuel tank level drops by about 15gal. However this doesn't happen once the right outboard tank is empty and running only off the inboard tank. I have looked at the ground wiring that I can get to behind the panel but this got me thinking. The 2 tanks in the wing are wired in series correct? Could there be something that affects only the voltage from the outboard tank but not the inboard tank that causes this?

And for everyone that says get a digital sender or replace the senders, yes that is the eventual goal but don't want to pull the tanks until absolutely necessary. Looking for a fix that is under 1-2AMUs.

Latest posts

Back