• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Fuel starvation during a Slip?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilotdaddy

Reaction score
Anyone ever experience fuel starvation on a Cherokee 140 while doing a prolonged turning slip?

I was out with an instructor doing forced approaches and he demo'd the first one... He used a turning slip to lose the last bit of altitude to line up with our selected field. The slip couldn't have been more than 10 seconds. The fuel tanks were both at the tabs (36 gallons) and we had only been flying for 20 minutes or so.

On the go around, the engine started to sputter. We put on the carb heat, cycled the magnetos, and verified that the fuel pump was on. It sputtered for a good 30 seconds and then all is well again. My instructor's hypothesis is fuel starvation during the slip.

Would you guys agree? During this whole time, I did not see a drop on the fuel pressure at all... Could it have been carb ice? I was told carb icing usually causes a slight reduction in RPMs, not the sputtering that we experienced.

Certainly made for an interesting night!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back