• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Fuel selector whiff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLYZONE

Reaction score
My fuel selector valve seems to have two problems. The first is it is very stiff when changing tanks. The second is that I get a whiff of gas smell for about a minute after switching tanks. Many years ago the odor problem was considerably worse and I wound up having the selector rebuilt and the problem was resolved. This year during annual I asked my A&P to check it out and he could find no leak. He also said something about Piper doesn't offer replacement components for the valve; you have to replace the whole valve if I understood him correctly. I recall someone here cleaning and lubing the seals in the valve but perhaps theirs was different from mine (a 1972 180).

I am wondering who might have insight into servicing the valve including the correct type of lubrication to use.

Latest posts

Back