• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Fuel Selector handle

ERE99

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for a fuel selector valve handle for a '65 Cherokee 160....

The valve it goes on is pn 491-947 (6S122)

TIA!

ERE99

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine still has the flat aluminum cover. If there's an AD or SB to change it, please let me know and I'll point it out to my mechanic to get it done.

Ray93J

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine still has the flat aluminum cover. If there's an AD or SB to change it, please let me know and I'll point it out to my mechanic to get it done.
Piper has a kit to convert it. Yes, an AD may be coming. Look under Cherokee, FAA Airworthinesss Concern in this forum. Piper published a SB 840A in 2013. The kit is Piper PN 760-545

https://www.skygeek.com/piper-760-545-kit-fuel-selector-sb-840.html

Cost for the kit is like $700.

What is wrong with you current handle?

Last edited:

Tweety

Reaction score
Man, this is a perfect case of the "fix" causing more problems. Piper began agitating for us to change our fuel selector valve covers to the new design in 1986, based on an unspecified problem that one aircraft experienced (claimed valve "binding"). Back in 2017 the FAA threatened to adopt Piper's SB 1309 as an AD that would have mandated the switch, and several owners decided to pro-actively change out their covers (and the valve handle since the old handle apparently isn't compatible with the new cover). As noted, a "kit" was offered, apparently using Piper parts. Then it was discovered that the new covers were improperly labelled L and R, so an emergency AD was implemented by the FAA that originally required an AP to inspect the cover (even if it was the old style) and signoff the logs if it was OK. Otherwise Piper offered a temporary kit (stick-on labels) and a permanent replacement if it was one of the incorrectly-produced parts. After much complaints, the FAA modified the AD, based now on Piper SB 1309A, to allow an owner pilot to do the inspection and sign-off (but not the fix). The whole thing was embarrassing and I'm surprised Piper is bringing it up again. Apparently they REALLY need to sell those new valve covers. The original AD requiring everyone to change to the new style was never implemented, and the people who complied before it was issued came out with new headaches.

I personally have the old style flat metal disk cover and the original metal handle in my PA28-140 and see no reason to change. In my opinion the metal disk does a better job protecting the handle from the upholstery and the metal handle is more robust. If the valve is sticking, the cover won't fix that. The valve needs to be serviced.

I view this like the proposed action requiring UT inspection of the spar caps...the fix potentially causes more problems than the original condition.

Tweety

Reaction score
By the way, if you decide to go with the new plastic one, consider carrying a small set of locking pliers within reach, in case you need to turn the valve if the handle breaks. Also useful if your upper door latch breaks.

Ray93J

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new plastic handle is very robust. The part that attaches to the valve is metal. . This is the same part Piper used in the Tomahawk. Yes, it is plastic, therefore I would buy a new one vs a used one. They cost about $26 and could be replaced as preventive maintenance.

I was looking at the gen 1 part that I removed many years ago when I updated my 1966 180. I never noticed it before, but someone had used a pin punch on both sides around the inner hole. This appears to have been done to make the handle fit tighter to remove some slop. The old design may have more than just one problem.

Tweety

Reaction score
Question concerning the switch. The Piper SB shows the handle position for left tank at 12 o'clock and right tank at 3 o'clock. In my original setup, left tank is at 10 o'clock and right is at 2 o'clock. Does the insert of the handle change the handle position so that it conforms to the SB illustration (I'm assuming the flat on the valve shaft controls the handle orientation)?

Ray93J

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, the insert on the new handle changes the position relative to the valve. The handle is designed so you cannot switch it to OFF, unless you depress the stop. . This can be done with one hand with a little practice. The handle can be moved back into one of the on positions without moving the stop gate. Everything is designed as a system to work together.

The only thing I did not like is the screws for the cover are sheet metal screws. I taped out the holes and used machine screws. You do need to verify they are tight from time to time. If the screw backs out, it could interfere with the handle. I have never found them lose.

Attachments

DennyNC

Reaction score
I have the original. No problems with it in the six years I have owned it. Don’t plan on changing unless they make it an AD.

Latest posts