• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Fuel pressure issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesertNomad

Reaction score
Recently I have become hyper-aware of my fuel pressure as I feel it might not be behaving the way it used to. I have had my Dakota for 4 years and in the past with the electric fuel pump off, my pressure sat right around 4psi. Turning on the electric pump would push it up to about 6psi. The phase of flight did not seem to affect anything - idle, taxi, cruise, etc.

I have not tracked it well (doing that tomorrow), but at cruise power at 10,000' I saw about 3psi on a recent flight. At about 15" MP and 7,000' it had climbed to about 6psi. Yesterday at Reno I was forced to wait at the hold-short line for about 15 minutes on a 90F day while 5 airliners landed/departed. At idle and electric pump off, with the engine already warm from an earlier flight, it was about 1-2psi and fluctuating a bit. Does that seem too low?

Bumping up the throttle to about 1200 rpm didn't seem to change it. When I was finally cleared for takeoff, at full power with the electric pump on, I saw about 8psi. I have checked the vent lines in both tanks and they are clear. The Dakota maintenance manual says a few things:

Fuel Pressure.png

I am looking to see if the group here thinks this is normal.

Latest posts

Back