• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

FS: STEC ST-901 GPSS Roll Steering Converter

DesertNomad

Reaction score
UnitView.jpg ConfigView.jpg

Bought new in October 2017 and installed in a PA28. Removed in October 2018. It was working fine when removed and is configured for a 52D54 Directional Gyro. In my plane it was hooked to a Sigma-Tek 4000C.

STEC can reconfigure this for different heading inputs such as an HSI.

$700 as-removed. I'll cover shipping within the lower 48.

Canuck

David Megginson (he/him)
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too bad I just installed a used one in my plane (the price was higher), but I would like to say to everyone else that this is a great addition if you have an autopilot and an IFR GPS. It drives my STEC-20 beautifully, and with a modernish GPS (e.g. GTN 650, IFD 440, or even the venerable 480; not sure about the 430) it will let the GPS and A/P handle your hold entry and fly you right around the hold or through a procedure turn.

I'm attaching a copy of the manual, which is simple as can be.

D

Attachments

Orest @ CYFD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
...this is a great addition if you have an autopilot and an IFR GPS. It drives my STEC-20 beautifully .... it will let the GPS and A/P handle your hold entry and fly you right around the hold or through a procedure turn.
Hmm, that recommendation sounds familiar to me. ;)

* Orest

Canuck

David Megginson (he/him)
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, that recommendation sounds familiar to me. ;)

* Orest
What are you suggesting? It was an entirely-original thought, and not at all plagiarised from a fellow Piper pilot who lives in Brantford.

DesertNomad

Reaction score
It was a huge upgrade for me. Without the GPSS my STEC-30 was ok, but with the ST-901 GPSS it is really wonderful. I removed this ST-901 when I installed my G5 HSI which has GPSS in it.

ksykes

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@DesertNomad Can you tell me where the ST-901 was mounted? My prior owner installed one, but later installed a G500 which outputs a GPSS signal. I have no log entry that it was removed and wanted to try and do a visual check for it.

DesertNomad

Reaction score
Mine was mounted on top of the GTN750 in a small rack built by my shop.

Cooperform

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ditto on the STEC roll steering. Worked with the existing STEC 50 great. Had it installed in the Archer at the same time as the 650 navigator and CDI. Unfortunately the g5 HSI came out not more than six months later. The guys in the Garmin tent at Oshkosh were less than sympathetic...

Latest posts