• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

FS: STEC 50 2 Axis Autopilot

WebRuss

Reaction score
Greetings all!
I have an STEC 50 Autopilot in a box. Here is a list of parts that I have:
Turn Coordinator P/N 6405-14L S/N 8354E TSO C3b
Control Head P/N 0131-11-5 S/N 2361C TSO C9c
Servo P/N 0107-2-P5 S/N 7331A TSO C9c
Servo P/N 0105-4-R4 S/N 8547A TSO C9c
Absolute Pressure Transducer S/N 7402A
Plus some brackets and wiring
$2500 takes the whole thing.
Pics Here: https://goo.gl/photos/BTZQTBxHzXNCrMNt5

Regards
Russ

Walboy

Reaction score
Please forgive me if I don't use the proper terminology, but doesn't STEC have to approve each installation by specific airplane and serial number in order for the installation to be legal? Seems like I have read this somewhere before.

Reactions: DGW
Reaction score
Yes you would need to get new STC paperwork which STEC charges anywhere from 1500-4500. I am not sure if the unit needs reprogramming to specific model or not.

WebRuss

Reaction score
Gents you are correct.
You would need to make a substantial financial investment with Genesys Aero Systems to get this autopilot approved for your aircraft. My intent is to sell this to someone who already has one approved by STC for their plane or someone with an experimental aircraft.
Regards
Russ

WebRuss

Reaction score
Is it from sunny side up? What did you upgrade to?
Hi Sanjiv
I purchased this autopilot with the intent of installing it in Sunny Side up. However Genesys Aero Systems informed me that I would need to purchase an install kit consisting of brackets and cables, and an STC for about $12,000.

My plan now is to wait until Trio or TruTrak get the STC approved and buy from them.

Regards
Russ

Unit74

Reaction score
Hi Sanjiv
I purchased this autopilot with the intent of installing it in Sunny Side up. However Genesys Aero Systems informed me that I would need to purchase an install kit consisting of brackets and cables, and an STC for about $12,000.

My plan now is to wait until Trio or TruTrak get the STC approved and buy from them.

Regards
Russ
DAC pulled the same **** on me. Bought a used GDC-31 Roll Steering unit. Needed a part for install and they were happy to sell it to me, along with making me send them the GDC first so they could "service it" and return. I forget the price, but I could have bought a brand new unit for less than the used plus their "fee".

F-you DAC. Sold it and bought an Icarus SAM. Its going in at the end of this month, assuming the installer has the break between planes he has right now. My lance is small change when jets are in the bay, ya know....

jpwamt

Reaction score
I would love to install a stec 20-50 in my Cherokee but I am not paying 10k for a autopilot. I am a A&P, IA and have installed a full garmin stack in my Cherokee. Im pretty sure I can install the wiring and if the autopilot needs adjustment I will ferry it someplace that can do that. the Several thousand you have to spend to get install paperwork from Genesys is beyond ridiculous.

walkinghispath

Reaction score
I'm really hoping Dynon can get approval for the A/P functionality of the D100 with the new Part 23. Then if you have roll and trim servos already, theirs will be drop-in replacements and the D100 already has all the circuitry to drive them.

Latest posts