• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Foreflight Gets My Vote

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So there we we're, 38,000' and 900 miles east of Honolulu...We we're startled by a flickering of all the CRT screens and then the autopilot kicking off. Grabbing the yolk and having the F/O take a general look, the left generator kicked off. No biggie. Reset and we were back to normal electrical. We we're missing one big thing, the IRU's we're gone. No waypoints on our screens, no ground speed,no nothing. Pulled out the checklists but we're unable to bring them back on line. Called SFO radio and let them know our problem and waited for a response. At that time, I remembered that I had Foreflight on my iPad. Fired up the app and it showed us about 1/4 mile off course. SFO gave us a decent to 37,000' as there were no aircraft at that altitude. We used heading select and navigated using the Foreflight high altitude charts. When we got within radar range, HNL told us that we we're less than 1/4 mile off course. Got radar vectors the rest of the way. My question is, should I ask the company to pay for my Foreflight subscription?

Latest posts

Back