• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

For Sale: 430/530/W obstacle card programmer

Orest @ CYFD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the programmer itself, NOT the card. It connects by a standard mini-USB cord to a computer, you get the data from fly.garmin.com. The obstacle database card is the inner one.

Programmer is in perfect working order. I updated the obstacle database only periodically in the 430W, I won't be needing it any more as I trade up to the Avidyne IFD540.

From Garmin it is $195. I'm thinking $125 + shipping. Suggest offers & enquiries by email. ( oskrypuch at gmail com )

I hate to see it sitting idle on the shelf. Thanks.

* Orest

Last edited:

Orest @ CYFD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it is still available. Within Canada I can throw in the shipping. ;)

* Orest

PilotPete

Reaction score
How often do you update the terrain/obstacle databases?

Can you do one without the other? I wouldn't imagine terrain would change much.

Orest @ CYFD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The terrain you get "free" when you get a WAAS unit, there is really no need to ever change that. I never have.

The obstacles I had bundled in with my other 28/56 day cycles from Garmin, but did not renew it when I got the 796 I have now, it of course has an obstacle database and alerts as well.

* Orest

PilotPete

Reaction score
Given that it contains all sorts of nasty California carcinogens, I think you should just get rid of it, Orest. You really don't want that stuff hangin' around, slowly filling the air with harmful cadmium dust. In fact, send it to me and I'll make sure it gets properly disposed of at our hazardous waste depot. My gift to you - no charge! :p

PilotPete

Reaction score
The obstacles I had bundled in with my other 28/56 day cycles from Garmin
So I presume the programmer is a little more sophistacted than the simple nav database dongle, given there are two separate databases on the card, and either one needs to be update-able in isolation.

I've never updated the terrain or obstacle DBs on my 430W. Perhaps it's time... thinking...

Orest @ CYFD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I think most of the smarts are in the Garmin browser add-in, the programmer is probably a passive card reader, although Garmin may have put some copy protection support in it.

I have only used it to update the obstacle database.

That same controller can be used to copy flight plans onto a special data card. However, that is totally impractical, first of all they charge a ridiculous amount for that data card (the terrain/obs card won't work), and then you have to pull the other card to program the 430 etc. I was also hoping to utilize that ability but abandoned it due to the above considerations.

* Orest

Latest posts