• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Flight following around Chicago....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlgerou

Reaction score
I live north of Buffalo, NY and all my children and grandchildren live in WI, and MN. So I make the flight as often as I can. I am VFR and enjoy, and use flight following as a rule.

I pick up flight following before entering BUF air space, go south of lake Erie, through Cleveland BROVO, across Ohio, Indiana. Things are seamless, I know what coming, and if are not going right I have someone close to talk to.

And as I approach Chicago thing being to change.

About or just past South Bend, I usually get something like, squak VFR, and you can try contacting XYZ on xxx.x. This is usually when I call flight service and activate my flight plan.

In my last four trips south and east around the "B" I have gotten flight following one time. It would not save me anytime to cut across the "B" but I have thought about doing that to stay in contact. I have done the VFR corridors, but other than sight seeing that also doesn't help me much.

When I get up near Rockford, I re establish flight following and thing are good again.

The concern is that often the south end of Lake Michigan (the fetch) is a great place for quickly changing, low level moisture, and cloud formation.

Has one else had any experience with flight following in this area?

Latest posts

Back