• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Flew to TX

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluerooster

Reaction score
And drove back. Purpose of the flight was to take the airplane to my partner (Dad) so he could play with it a while, and bring his pickup back for paint.
So, bein's how "Th' Ole Lady" has a sister who she hadn't seen in several years, living in Sheridan AR, She went along as well. Sheridan, 9M8 is about the halfway point, and almost as good a fuel stop as PBF, So it worked right into the plan, and right on the way. (no deviation) We loaded the two dogs, full fuel, light bags, and headed out about 8am this past Sunday. After an uneventful flight, untill crossing the mississippi river, we found ourselves on top of a broken layer. But still smooth as silk at 4500msl. But could see the cumulus rising below us. We flew on. As we neared PBF, I decided to get below the layer which was reported at 2000'.
Found a nice large "sucker hole", and descended through it. PBF was about 5 miles away, and I decided to land there to check out the WX between there and 9M8 (20 miles away). Found that it was doable, and the puppies had taken care of business, we headed out. Landed at 9M8 only to find that the gas pump would not take my card. No worries, I still have enough fuel to go elsewhere to get gas. Got tied down and then realized that no-one brought the phone number for her sister. :rolleyes: As luck would have it, this town is quite small, so everyone knows everyone else. We called a number at random from the phone book, and her sister was there in about 10 minutes to pick us up.:)
Well, Th' Ol' Lady is going to stay there while me and one of the dogs went on to TX. I planned to launch early next morning. (was becoming convective both there and at my destination)
Next morning, Monday, I was socked in; low ceiling, fog, and rain. By the time it cleared off enough to go, my destination was having thunderstorms, and being generally a mess. So I hung out there. Did go to the airport, and found a guy who was gracious enough to put my fuel on his card and I gave him cash. I was also told that I could park "in that hanger over there at no charge." :D So I did.
Next morning I launched into CAVU expecting a nice flight on to F05.
With "Buddy" the dog snoozing in the back, and the engine humming along in the front, we made our way to Vernon. About 30 miles west of Ardmore OK I encountered foul wx. I checked "whiskey Falls" Kickapoo was reporting 800' and 1 with rain, Duncan was reporting 1000' and 3 with rain, and gusty wind. I returned to Ardmore and landed with calm wind. As I exited the plane the gust front hit. 90* to the runway, and about 20kt.
I got a gallon or two of gas, and let Buddy take care of business. By that time, wind had layed down, and Duncan was reporting better conditions. Off we go, planning to go north of the storm, and get to better conditions behind. As it worked out; by the time we got to the point where I turned back earlier, the storm had played it'self out, and we could continue on our origional course. In cool smooth air. :D
I guess that's what happens in the summertime. ;)
Dropped off the airplane for Dad to play with, and had a nice time visiting.
Just over 9 hours on the tach, no traffic, smooth ride.
Wednesday, loaded up a bunch of neat stuff that Dad gave me, and set out in his pickup at 6AM thursday. Got home at 2AM today. Traffic in Memphis cost me 2 hours, several stops for gas, and I'm just plain worn out.
This fall I get to drive Dad's pickup back to TX, and bring the airplane back. Probably be able to make the trip back non-stop given the tailwind when eastbound.

I had thought my Dad was 86, but when I set about adding him to the insurance, I found that I was wrong. He's 89. The insurance underwriter has a cut-off at 65. But there is a clause allowing any properly rated pilot, with 200 hours total time, and at least 10 hours in make and model, with current BFR, and medical to be automatically covered under my policy.
He exceeds those requirements, so should be no troubles anyway.

Latest posts

Back