• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Flat strut after plane sitting for a while

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck

David Megginson
Reaction score
I haven't been able to get to the airport for nearly two months -- since early August -- because I've been travelling almost continuously during that time. When I got back today, I found a completely-flat left main strut.

This has happened to me a couple of times before over the years, always when the plane hasn't flown for a couple of months. Repeated maintenance on the strut doesn't change it. The left strut is usually the downwind strut when I'm parked (my spot faces south), so the wind lifts the right wing and presses down on the left.

My theory for why the strut goes flat after two months of sitting around but not two months of flying is that the seal dries out when there's no fluid sloshing up on it, as there would be during flying and taxiing. Does that theory hold any water (so to speak)? Any suggestions, other than "don't go two months without flying"? :)

Thanks, David

Latest posts

Back