• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

First Winter Flying

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaos32d

Reaction score
Any advice would be appreciated. I started flying last February and now have 120 hours and my IFR ticket. Flying still scares me or at least makes me very nervous before I get up in the air. This is my first winter flying outside the local training area and I'm really worried about picking up ICE with a plane that has only pitot heat. I'm flying from KHRJ to KHEF outside of DC and planing on Wednesday or early Thursday for the first leg. I've recently flown this route twice but didn't have to worry about icing conditions.

If Wednesday rolls around and there are no AIRMET/SIGMET for icing, the icing probability looks close to zero and the airports are reporting clear, what should I be expecting? Do you guys dodge any and all clouds when in freezing conditions? How do you work that out with ATC? Any tips would be great. Also, if you guys see something that I'm missing on why I shouldn't chance it let me know. I can always drive the family in the mini van.

Latest posts

Back