• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

First annual jitters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Coming up on the first annual for my '63 180. It flies great. Doesn't burn or lose any oil (anymore, cracked oil screen housing). Adsb has been solved, the rear light had a ground that was soldered on and absolute garbage so it didnt work prior to the tailbeacon install. Stall switch needed some contact cleaner. Replaced nose tire and tube. Turn coordinator was buzzing so that got overhauled. Minor things that I'm surprised got past the previous A&P. Which leads me to wonder what else was missed and how much its going to hurt. There's a few things I'd like to do interior wise. The plane was painted in 2014, interior was done in leather in '03 and its in great condition...but the color is an eyesore. Paint and leather dont match so was contemplating getting it dyed, Just dont know the cost compared to airtex which I could do myself. The pilot side has the old style half moon armrest which is naturally cracked and difficult to find. Could I change that to more modern panel armrest? The control wheel bushing is another thing I'd like to look at. Quite a bit of slop there. Not sure if the bushing is worn, missing, fell out but something I want to look at. Wasn't sure if the early models had a different bushing than the later models still using the 3/4" shaft. I'm seeing one style that looks more like a plastic washer in between plates than a longer bushing.

Lastly, I'm considering something avionics wise. An audio panel probably isn't in this planes future as installation is labor intensive. The fuel tank gauges are probably my biggest gripe panel wise as theyre not to be trusted. The tach also isn't placarded for the avoid range, which I was having trouble finding mention in the poh I have. Is there a prop combo with the a3a that would get rid of that? Aside from getting a CS prop, which I have the STC for but no desire to go that route. Anything an owner could do with the watchful eye of the AI engine monitoring wise that wouldn't break the bank? Any other panel suggestions? Would really like to increase the value while minimizing out of pocket cost.

Latest posts

Back