• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Fire at Old Rhinebeck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweety

Reaction score
I saw a recent post from AOPA about a fire at the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome. The gift shop and model aircraft building was destroyed, but thanks to quick action by an early morning jogger and an early-arriving employee the antique and replica aircraft were saved, including the original 1909 Bleriot.

I was privileged to visit Old Rhinebeck back in the late 1970's when Cole was still flying some of the exhibition. I got to see the Bleriot fly (actually more of a straight line hop, understandable considering its wing-warping lateral control). I noticed that on either side of the runway were three rows of telephone poles sitting on concrete blocks, so after the show I went over and asked Cole about them. He said that because his planes did not have brakes and could easily ground-loop, the first row was to take off the prop, the second to take off the gear, and the third to stop what's left before it could hit the audience.

Latest posts

Back