• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Fill to the tabs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1971 Cherokee Arrow with Lycoming IO360-C1C.

When I bought the plane, there were stickers on the fuel tanks stating that the capacity was 24 gallons, and that filling to the tabs was 20 gallons. I bought a fuel stick for the plane, and when filled to the tabs the fuel stick would show just about 20 gallons. Over the years the stickers have faded (but pretty much welded themselves to the metal, I can’t get them off).

This past annual, my mechanic ordered new placards for the tanks. These say capacity is 24 gallons, but 17 gallons at the tabs.

One of my partners in the plane filled the tanks to the tabs, then filled to the rim and said each tank required 6 gallons from the tab to fill it to the rim (which would mean 18 gallons at the tab).

Interestingly, the operating manual states that tank capacity is 25 gallons (must be one gallon unusable) but says nothing about the tabs in the tanks at all.

What are other Hershey-bar wing Arrow drivers seeing?

Thanks,
Pete

Latest posts

Back