• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Few pics of a recent Dynon install along with IFD540 in a PA28-140 (upgraded to 160HP)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klr94ss

Advanced Aviation Reno
Reaction score
We also did some interior work for him, installing a TN wings seat kit. He plans on a newer audio panel in the near future, budget was getting close. I think paint is in the future as well.

Attachments

• cherokee 140 Dynon panel.jpeg
    cherokee 140 Dynon panel.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 206
  • cherokee 140 interior.jpeg
    cherokee 140 interior.jpeg
    36.3 KB · Views: 197
  • cherokee 140 exterior.jpeg
    cherokee 140 exterior.jpeg
    39.2 KB · Views: 164
I was thinking about the Dynon system until I find out my S-TEC 30 will not work. I believe Dynon only work with their own AP. Mine is working perfect and don't see the need to invest in another install + AP. Great job, very clean.

I was thinking about the Dynon system until I find out my S-TEC 30 will not work. I believe Dynon only work with their own AP. Mine is working perfect and don't see the need to invest in another install + AP. Great job, very clean.
I had a Skyview in my last plane (RV6), the autopilot servos were relatively inexpensive, something like $1500 for the pair. Would think you could sell the S-TEC for more than that to help defray costs.

To the OP, nice looking and very functional!

S-TEC wants a lot of money for a new STC for a used autopilot, which makes it difficult to sell a used one for any amount worth messing with. Selling it for parts you could probably get more than for the whole unit.

@Flying_Monkey has a Dynon skyview in his Cherokee 6 and a TruTrak autopilot So I believe they work together, It might work with the STec 30(?)

The dynon can feed digital data to a digital autopilot like the TT Via the ARINC 429. I can look further in the manuals to see if there is any way to fully interface to the S-Tec. The Dynon autopilot is very inexpensive, still waiting on STC's for additional aircraft.

I dont think is worth the hassle of taking apart, sell it, and buy new stuff just to replace what is working perfectly fine for me. A complete install like flying monkey has will be awesome if I had the extra cash to spend.

I dont think is worth the hassle of taking apart, sell it, and buy new stuff just to replace what is working perfectly fine for me. A complete install like flying monkey has will be awesome if I had the extra cash to spend.
I'm the same way, there is a lot of equipment in my plane still that I don't have the heart or budget to remove. I pulled out my century autopilot and replaced with the trutrak because the altitude hold failed. I love the way the TT flies the airplane, but would have not replaced the original had it not failed. Now the Aspen E5... That was definitely a want as my dg was starting to head south and I wanted to get rid of the vacuum pump.

We also did some interior work for him, installing a TN wings seat kit. He plans on a newer audio panel in the near future, budget was getting close. I think paint is in the future as well.
so what's the ball park on a dynon and ifd 540.
I've got a Cherokee six with a functional legacy autopilot so was holding out for a few more certifications to come through so the autopilot could be done at the same time

Who did your panel? I have a 140 also with an IFD540 and S-TEC 40. was looking at installing the Dynon system I’n mine, but like you want an autopilot that will work with not only the 540 but also the KX-155 that I have. Btw, I have a KX-125 with mounting rack and connectors for sale.

Latest posts

Back