• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

FAR 91.407b test flights and logging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericstendahl

Reaction score
Had to do a skin replacement on one of my flaps and will pick it up from paint shop and re-install tomorrow. A&P will do logbook entry. Although everything looks the same, I'm thinking this requires a test flight and log book entry by yours truly to comply with the FAR. I did test fly and log when my stall switch was replaced because that seemed obvious to check for proper operation before I loaded up the family. But I did not conduct the test flight across all CG possibilities and at max weight. The wording about making an operational check of the maint perfomed, or the alteration made, does not indicate to what extent it must be performed.

Mike Busch states most maintenance performed should have an accompying test flight and pilot log entry. There is a lot of routine maintenance, if done incorrectly, that would substantially affect the aircraft operation in flight. I'm sure there is some extremely minor stuff we all agree could be agreed to on the ground per sub para c by inspection or by test (ie, swinging gear after new tires installed).

Do you all commonly test fly and log it after maintenance?

Latest posts

Back