• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

External power ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankiep73

Reaction score
I’ve purchased an external power unit for my 77’ Lance. I figured it may be a good source of A.C. when working on, say, the radios without drawing down the battery. I used it the other day and it did as expected; provided power to the airplane. But later when I went to start the engine - without ground power - using only the ships battery, the engine wouldn’t turn. It was as though, somehow, when the external power had been plugged in, the power was still taken off the hot battery bus drawing down the battery.

The POH gives no direction to using external power ONLY while on the ground as an external power source.

Does anyone have knowledge of what / where switches (i.e. master switch, etc) needs to be positioned while using external power ONLY without the intent of engine start?

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back