• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Ever used "Raincoat" or similar windshield coatings on your plane?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've used Rain-X on my car in the past...works really good for maybe a week or two, then needs to be reapplied to get back to that original really good performance. Apparently, that's old-school now and the cool kids these days are using newer products, either newer hydrophobic products similar-to-but-better-than Rain-X (like Aquapel), or ceramic coating products that last way longer (12+ months) but don't shed water quite as dramatically as the Rain-X style products.

One of the products I came across (Gtechniq G5) said it could be applied to either glass or acrylic/plastic: G5 Water Repellent Coating for Glass and Perspex - Gtechniq USA

This made me wonder if there were any other acrylic-compatible products. I know Rain-X makes one, but friends who've used it were unimpressed. I found a motorcycle forum post where someone was praising this product: Raincoat® Advanced Water Repellent Coating – Motosolutions

Anyone have any experience with any coatings/treatments that worked particularly well on their airplane windscreen (other than lemon Pledge!)? Not just for in-flight performance (the propwash keeps the windows pretty clear anyway), but also maybe reducing dust/waterspot accumulation while on the ground?

Latest posts

Back