• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Engine time question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m reviewing some log books for an aircraft I’m considering purchasing and ran across an oddity and wanted to see if anyone here had any ideas before I talk to the seller.

This plane claims 6.5k of TTAF but in the engine lookbook there are entries with “ETSN” which I took to mean “engine time since new”. Seems to make sense because they did similarly for the prop.

Here’s the kicker: It’s at 9.6k. But they advertised a 450 SMOH by “TCM factory”. So since when can continental overhaul a lycoming engine and call it “factory”?

I am assuming the 9.6k is because the engine was swapped at some point and this particular one has never had a real factory overhaul? Haven’t found that entry yet. Just found the overhaul entry as done by continental.

Does that sound reasonable? How long do these cores last? Any advice on value of the engine? I don’t want to buy it and then at swap find out the core charge can’t be gotten because the engine had too many overhauls etc. or maybe I’m just overthinking this due to lack of sleep right now.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back