• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

engine problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murray

Reaction score
My plane went for it's annual inspection last week and I got a call saying it's making metal. I went up and there was over a 1/4 tea spoon in the sump/screen. The AME says it's a cam lobe as one cylinder has lost it's compression AND the metal is iron. He's fairly certain we caught it in time 50hrs since last annual inspection. The motor has 1100 smoh

The FBO owner wants me to have the engine repaired. They would send it for magnaflux and if no problem, do the work in-house. He says it's the most economical and since at my age I probably won't use up 900 hrs. it should be a no issue to not zero time the engine. He says 9k-13k depending on crankshaft damage and what not. He's quoting low 20's for a MOH

I've been flying for four years and owning for two, and not much interested in mechanics (I am now!) so I'm really at sea.

Some guys at the Cherokee chat have helped.

Where can I go, as a Canadian, for a second opinion or options?

cheers

Latest posts

Back