• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Engine monitor- couple of questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arkvet

Reaction score
So I'm falling in love with my new JPI EDM 830. I'm still a horrible newbie at taking advantage of all of the features but am reading the book and learning more each flight. I haven't downloaded any data yet because honestly I'm sure it is all over the place given my playing with the mixture and power settings so much. Sometime soon I'll get some data downloaded and analyze things.

Right now I have two questions which may spawn more after some discussion. Who knows?

1- which parameters do you display by default in the column that is always showing? The shop that set it up did the default list:

Oil-T
Oil-P
GPH
USD- fuel used
REM- fuel remaining
REQ- fuel required to next waypoint
DIF- EGT difference (hottest / coldest)
OAT- Outside air temp.

I should have mentioned before this is in a Saratoga IO-540 normally aspirated. MAP and RPM are always displated at top.

My thoughts on customizing are to remove the USD and replace with VOLTS. I just don't see much use for the USED column??? The only the thing that matters is what is remaining??? Someone please tell me what significant help the USD parameter is?

And how about the alarm settings (high low). Are there any parameters you'd suggest tweaking? I see the VOLTS range is 12-16. 12 seems low to me I would think. If the plane is running with a good alternator should it ever dip below 12.5 or maybe 13? If my alternator does mid flight I just want to be notified asap. If adjusting that low alarm up would give me a couple more minutes to note the problem and turn some stuff off then that would be great.

Along the same line it looks like my high MAP (redline) is 42. My IO-540 is normally aspirated. 42 is off the charts for NA. Should this be lower or is 42 normal for both types?

2nd question: "Bad probes". It seems like every time I start up I get messages about bad EGT probes. It's not always the same one but #2 does show up quite often. After the engine warms for a couple minutes the Bad Probe warnings go away, and I will note that even when Bad Probe is displayed there are temps (albeit very low) that are showing up. Is it normal to get bad probe messages at initial startup?

I think that about covers the questions for now. Sorry for the rambling.

Oh, and thanks again OREST for the recommendation of the LED annunciator!!! It works great. Since the install I had not adjusted the fuel tank capacity to the POH and it was still on 50 gallon default. On the way back from a short X country the light starts flashing and the Red bold print is flashing down at the bottom telling me I am getting way too low on fuel. My wife was not happy at all and it took some very good explaining from me about how it wasn't calibrated yet and that we had plenty of fuel. She did not like that message on the screen nor the light flashing regardless of my explanations. lol

Latest posts

Back