• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Engine knocking - Cherokee 235

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was out on an IFR lesson last week and while taxing back my instructor took his headset off.

He said he could hear the engine knocking. When I pulled up to park and took my headset off, I had a hard time picking out the knock, it's fairly subtle at this point.

This is a o-540 B4B5 and has about 1600hrs on it. Not seeing any metal in the filter and rebuilt my magnetos within the last 200hrs. Compression is good, it has chrome cylinders, and borescopes have looked good.

Prior to my ownership the Cherokee didn't fly too much. I normally put in 75-100hrs a year.

I'm going to keep digging, but any guidance on diagnosing engine knocking?

Latest posts

Back