• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Engine Break-In Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnPhillips

Reaction score
My Cherokee 140 with 150 HP 0-320 is just coming out of annual with all 4 chrome cylinders having been replaced with rebuilt chrome ones.

The initial engine run will only be long enough to verify oil pressure and to be able to check for leaks, etc..

After that is done and the engine is cool it will be towed in order to eliminate taxi and so that I can start up and go to help minimize any chance for glazing.

The first flight will be in racetrack fashion above the airport ay 75% power for a minimum of one hour at about 3,000 feet AGL.

After landing another set of leak and other checks will be performed.

Now for my question – On the second and subsequent flights, all of which will be at 75% power and until oil consumption has stabilized, how do I handle taxi and low power setting times (like waiting to go)?

I want to avoid glazing the cylinders but do not know for how long to avoid long taxi or hold time.

I’ve gotten lots of feedback on how to conduct the first flight and how to fly subsequent flights but plenty of differing opinions on handling ground operations.

Any insight or experience with chrome cylinders will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cross posted.

Latest posts

Back