• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Engine / Airframe corrosion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctbewley

Reaction score
Hi Fellas, I need your wisdom.

Im looking at purchasing a Cherokee Challenger that has spent all its life in New England. The last several years it has sat on the ramp. The good news is the owner did a pen yan reman in 2003 and has flown roughly 100 hours a year since. Then engine now has about 980 hours on it.

Here's my question. The engine hasnt been run for about six months until yesterday when I started it. (owner passed away about 4 months ago) How long should an engine sit before one should be worried about internal corrosion on a cam, etc????? Id really like to avoid taking off a couple jugs to check the cam.

Also, any notorious corrosion spots? I looked in the tailcone and it has been zinc chromated. The logbooks say its has had a corrosion x treatment every anual for the last several years. Im wondering if this indicates a corrosion problem that the previous owner was trying to fight. My next step is to pull all the inspection panels and the fuel tanks. Just wondering if there are any notorious ''hot spots''.

Thanks a million guys,
CB

Latest posts

Back