• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Emergency Procedures Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allandraheim

Reaction score
Good morning all. My wife recently gained her PPL rating - a little over a year ago. We often discuss the importance of practicing emergency procedures continually throughout one's flying career.

Since 90% of our flying is purely recreational in nature, we have tried to form a 'habit' of practicing at least one type of emergency procedure on every flight. This may be anything from departure stalls to electrical system failure (alternator/battery) to short-field dead-stick (simulated of course) since we recently moved to a place where landing options are harder to find than they were in central Florida. My hope is that if my prop stops spinning at 2,000' I won't have to think much about what to do but simply react in the few moments that I may have.

I had an induction icing incident about 10 years ago in a C150 (carb heat cable came into the cockpit with me when I pulled it during flight although it tested fine in the run up) and the engine eventually just stopped. I was fortunate enough for it to happen within a couple miles of an airport and I had a dead-stick "opportunity" with no other real excitement. In retrospect, I probably could have re-started the engine after a minute or two of gliding allowed the ice to melt but never thought to try again after the initial re-start effort failed, plus my attention was fixed on getting to the runway anyway. This was a wake up call for me.

Just wondering if I can get an HONEST opinion as to how much emergency procedure review you guys and gals do. I have been flying for about 15 years and I have gone through spells where I never practiced EPs but since my wife began flying I have found a new interest in this topic. I want to make sure that she is as prepared as she can possibly be... I kinda like her and want her to stick around for a while.

Latest posts

Back