• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

EI CGR-30p - configured for Cherokee 235 w/CS prop

Azpilot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For sale in Arizona:

I purchased this EI CGR-30p as a demo from a well known avionics dealer, and it was reconfigured for my last plane (1965 Cherokee 235 with CS prop). I ended up selling the plane before installing the unit. Whoops.

Per a local EI expert who shall remain nameless, the EI STC is open on their website, and the instrument is legal to install as primary replacement for any plane which had the same limits and specs/ redlines as did my 235. That means if you have the same vintage and configuration of 235, here’s a great deal on an engine monitor / primary gauge replacement.

In addition to 6-cylinder EGT / CHT functions and fuel flow / pressure, this unit is configured for the following primary gauge functions:

Manifold Pressure
Tach / RPM
Oil Pressure (additional probe needed)
Oil Temperature
Fuel pressure (additional probe needed)
Carburetor Temperature (additional probe needed)
Voltage
Current (Shunt included)

It is also configured to compute %HP and log engine time (user settable). The additional probes needed are purchased separately, as they would be with any new EI.

This ships with used prones for EGT / CHT and oil temp, a new fuel cube for low-wing aircraft, and necessary plugs/ modules (save the additional probes for non-standard functions). It also comes with new install schematics and instructions from EI, a part of their reconfigure service.

Best street price I can find on a 6-cylinder CGR-30p is $4,116, less the current $400 rebate for a total of $3,716. Plus, you’ll wait a bit for EI to configure your unit and ship.

$3,000 shipped in the US, payment via PayPal friends or postal MO.

434EFD97-C3C6-4143-AA9C-BE15672AC5ED.jpeg
E7B920A2-AA3D-4F09-B0A5-F0CDBCF4E751.jpeg
40312BBF-5834-4213-8808-456514A0EF53.png

Last edited:

oregon87

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is also configured to compute %HP and log engine time (user settable). The additional probes needed are purchased separately, as they would be with any new EI.
Just to clarify, the probes would be included in a new package purchase at no additional charge.

mgonzaga

Reaction score
Hi AZ Pilot,
I am interested in this engine monitor. I have a 1965 cherokee 235 N8988W. Can I still use the unit as I don't have a constant speed prop? I would think I could still use it. Maybe EI can let us know.

oregon87

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would require reconfiguration to remove manifold pressure from the display. The cost to reconfigure the display for another aircraft is $695.00.

msires

N8825W
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have a fixed pitch and hooked up the manifold pressure on my EI CGR30P. You have to have that input to calculate %HP. Easy to hook up. No change needed.

Mark

Azpilot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well there you go. Thanks for the input, Msires

Azpilot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just watching an engine monitor video on the Aviation 101 channel. He also has the MP hooked up and displaying, even though it’s a Skyhawk. He briefly touches on it as a feature which came with his monitor (a MVP50)..”so why not?”

That said, this will apparently work with a FP prop as well!

Orest @ CYFD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, in a fixed pitch prop aircraft, you just have to plumb a line to one of the cylinder intakes to get the MP.

And, if you want to get calculated HP on an analyzer, you do have to do that.

* Orest

Last edited:

Azpilot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Upon examining my senders in this kit, it appears I have a PT100GA for oil pressure. However, I can’t go back and edit the ad now.

For all functions to work as programmed, it’ll need a PT-30GA (fuel pressure, $180 at Spruce) and a P-128 (carb heat / OAT, $90 at Spruce).

For a Cherokee 235, this puts one at $3,000 plus $270 for senders.

And I’ll offset most of that. $2,800 shipped.

Last edited: