• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

EGT at Minus 2,650 feet DA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I flew my 1965 Cherokee 180 today at 19 degrees fahrenheit, barometer 34.10 [correction 30.41], field altitude 520 feet which calculates to an on-field density altitude of minus 6,700 [correction minus 2,650]. feet. I have the old fashioned EGT gauge with a single reading on (hopefully) the leanest cylinder of the carbureted O-360 engine. After leveling off at 2500 feet at full rich expecting to start the same leaning procedure I had used on prior flights (last flight just 13 days ago), my EGT at 75% cruise was much higher than usual - it was right about peak EGT at full rich. Is it possible the density of today's cold air created a nearly stochiometric mixture at full rich leading to the peak EGT reading? In flight the engine was smooth and the power/airspeed seemed normal. Prior to takeoff at runup, my mag check showed a normal rpm drop on each mag with no roughness so I have no reason to suspect a fouled plug. I had leaned during my my initial warm up (longer than usual due to cold) and during taxi and the gauge reacted normally, and at the end of the flight pulling the mixture control stopped the engine, so I don't think I have any reason to suspect the mixture control or gauge. And I can't imagine a valve suddenly acting up (or maybe I just HOPE it is not a valve issue). I will probably pull the plugs in a few days to check things out once it warms up, but I thought someone on this forum (perhaps our northern friends used to these temperatures and negative DA's) might have some experience or thoughts on this. This may be enough to finally make me bite the bullet and spend my hard earned bucks on a modern engine monitoring system (assuming I don't have to spend on engine issues!)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back