• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

EA-15000 Switch Panel Pirep

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6015

Reaction score
During our most recent 100 hour inspection we performed everyones favorite AD, the infamous Bendix ignition switch "Turn it off and make sure it turns off" check. Low and behold...it didn't. After a lot of research I found I had four options:
  • Remove and Service the existing switch ($?)
  • Buy a new switch ($500)
  • Buy an ACS switch and work with a mechanic to do a field approval for install ($200 plus install)
  • Buy the electro air EA-15000 switch panel ($270 plus install)
The design of this switch, and the fact that it has this recurring AD has always annoyed me, so the first two simply were not an option in my book. After a bit of research I decided to go with the Electroair switch panel because there is no AD, it is simpler, and it eliminated one of the keys on my keyring!

I ordered the panel, which comes with the panel, electrical hardware, and a thumb drive containing the STC and paperwork from Smoothpower. I chose the vertical panel in order to put it where the current ignition switch is located.

Installation was pretty straightforward. We removed the plastic, a few instruments out of the way for access and then marked and cut the panel for the installation (See Initial Layout Image). After cutting out a rectangular hole and drilling the four mounting holes we test fit all the hardware.

Now, all in all this only would have taken about an hour...but I took the opportunity to clean up some old wiring and swap the position of two instruments. For some reason, someone in the past swapped the autopilot controls and hobbs meter...but didn't bother to re-route the wires. One can only guess why.

After cleaning up the wiring we installed the panel and made some cutouts in the original plastic.

Operation is a little different, since there is no key (and no complexity to fail...) the pilot needs to verify that only the mag with the impulse coupling is on during start. We started the engine, and verified that both switches worked as expected. Pro tip: during the install is a great time to verify that whatever splices you find hiding in the panel or engine bay are correct...verify that left goes to left and right goes to right!

Overall I'm quite happy with the switch panel. Install was quite straightforward, we eliminated a recurring AD, and I have one less key to deal with. Personally, I'm not thrilled with my plastic trim job but the plastic is pretty old anyway so that will likely get replaced later this year anyway.

Attachments

• Initial Layout.jpg
    Initial Layout.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 138
  • Initial Cut.jpg
    Initial Cut.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 144
  • Initial Install.jpg
    Initial Install.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Post Install.jpg
    Post Install.jpg