• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Dual Mag RPM drop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesertNomad

Reaction score
When I bought my Dakota, during a mag check I would see a drop of 70-80 on each side and smooth operation. Then, 50 hours later, my left mag nylon gear lost teeth. I sent the mag to Aircraft Electrical Components in Redding, CA for overhaul. When it came back the mag checks were the same... a drop of 70-80 and smooth on each side. It was that way for 500 hours.

Recently it was time for another 500-hour inspection. They did an overhaul as the cam and other parts were showing signs of wear. Two weeks ago we received the mag back from AEC but the drops were Left-80 and Right-150 or so. The timing was set to 20R/23L. It went back to AEC and we got it back this week. Now the drops are Left-50, Right-100 which is just barely within spec. The timing is 22R/23L.

I am concerned that the drops are so uneven. The mag shop says it may be getting bounced around in shipping. The shop says it is very difficult to get back on with all the clamps and such and is reluctant to take it off again - we don't want a maintenance-induced failure.

I have already spent way too much with my shop on sorting this all out.

Would this drop/difference concern folks here?

I don't know what to do next. I am in Reno, NV and my plane is in Portland, OR.

Latest posts

Back