• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Dual G5's in a Cherokee Six (PIREP)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontrangeflyer01

Reaction score
It's been over 6 months since I took delivery of my Piper Cherokee Six 300 from the shop and I thought I would file a pilot report.

My experience includes completing a 10-day accelerated IFR training course (PIC), plus flying a 24-hour mission from Boulder, CO to Teterboro, NJ to Baltimore, MD and back that included actual IFR and 4 night landings.

I had quite a bit of work done, including an engine overhaul and a panel upgrade, but this will focus on my experience with the dual Garmin G5's.

Cost Of Install (Parts & Labor): $8,424

This included the Garmin GAD 29B interface and a Garmin GMU 11 magnetometer.

Vacuum System: I KEPT my vacuum system and old AI for two reasons: 1) As a backup for IFR and 2) because my Piper AutoControl III autopilot requires the old AI (per the Garmin G5 install docs).

I'll include a pic so you can see how everything is arranged.

Interface with Avidyne IFD 550 nav/com: The G5's work perfectly with my IFD 550 nav/com. I've flown several solid IFR missions and everything works as I expected.

Piper AutoControl III AutoPilot: The heading mode and GPSS steering of my old Piper AutoControl III is amazing.

Sure, I'm not able to do fully coupled approaches with my single-axis autopilot, but this config takes A LOT of work off my shoulders on long cross countries, flying procedure turns, and getting initially setup for approaches.

I know a lot of folks are talking about GFC 500, TruTrak and Trio autopilots, but I'll have a hard time justifying an upgrade for as long as this configuration is working.

Note: This article makes a good argument that the old AutoControl III's (and newer) are worth overhauling vs. buying new: http://piperowner.org/everything-you-need-to-know-about-piper-legacy/

Ease Of Use: I'm not a fan of the single knob interface. I understand this is meant to save $$, but the click, spin, click interface does take some getting used to.

Display: In general, very sharp and easy to read.

Some information, like the Vertical Speed Indicator tape, I find to be completely unreadable for aging eyes. I'm glad I kept my old analog VSI for that purpose (see pic).

Compatibility: I'm VERY pleased that everything plays well together (G5's, IFD 550 gps/nav/com, AutoControl III autopilot).

Why Not The Aspen Evolution E5? The Aspen Evolution E5 was not available when I chose the G5's.

I chatted with Aspen reps at the AOPA Santa Fe, NM fly-in and was disappointed to hear them bad-mouthing the Garmin G5 display quality (I disagree).

I do like the additional buttons on the Aspen E5 and they claim to support most legacy autopilots with their optional analog converter unit (ACU), which is $1,000 extra.

It seems like there's some bad blood brewing between Aspen and Garmin and this doesn't bode well for the Pilots looking for displays, nav/coms and autopilots to all play nice!

Side Note: OK. I AM considering the Garmin GFC 500 autopilot in the future (Since I already have required G5's installed, this reduces the overall cost of this option once the planned PA-32 certification is complete).

Flying IFR: I'm very comfortable flying in the clouds and shooting approaches with the G5's. The vertical/horizontal guidance is easy to read and the integration with my legacy autopilot greatly decreases workload.

Despite what you might think, I'm not a Garmin Fan Boy. This is evidenced by my decision to go with an Avidyne IFD 550 vs. the GTN 750 gps/nav/com.

That said, I'm confident I would choose the G5's if I had to do it all over again.

Cheers,
Buck

panel.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back