• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Dual G5’s, G500Txi and GFC500.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone know if this is doable? Several installers tell me they are installing with 2G5’s so one is a backup for the GFC500 Auto Pilot. Since the G500Txi cant control the GFC500, the loss of the one G5 would render the AP inoperative. I cant find in the G500Txi or G5 install manuals for this scenario but the G5 IM does have a dual G5 and GAD29b diagram. The G500Txi uses a different path for data so I am assuming it will work.
An installer said to just hook up the Can bus. I would assume that 232 or 429 would also come into play for course guidance, track, alt, etc. One Garmin Tech guys says no but maybe later, and another says its ok. There are several aircraft out there that have this configuration and their owners say it works fine. Turn one off and the other picks up the job.
Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back