• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Door movement and seal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 19452

Reaction score
Hi Folks. I am working on my main door seal which has light showing through at the top when closed and latched. It obviously also leaks.

I have purchased new hinge clevis pins and door latch clevis pin after reading other posts. But I have not installed them yet. The ones that are on there now don't look bad and if I open the door and gently lift up and down on it on the latch end, there really is very little play up and down. So I am wondering if anyone can tell me how much play the door seems to have when the new hardware is in place. Basically, just trying to figure out if I really need to replace that hardware right now.

Secondly, I have not yet ordered the rubber seal. I'm still trying to figure out which one is the best. I can't quite figure out the snubber seal and how that exactly works. It seems like a secret from Piper because there are so few pictures available and description of how it actually works lol.

My seal doesn't look like it covers the area very well. But my door doesn't look bad, as far as fit, when it's latched from the outside. Yet, I see light through the top back corner from the inside.

Lastly, where does the longer thin door latch clevis pin go? Looking at the door, I don't see anything that resembles it.

Here are some pictures of my current seal and the area inside and put where I see light

IMG_9913.JPG IMG_9916.JPG IMG_9924.JPG IMG_9925.JPG

I do have the door adjustment guide that I got through another thread here. I was planning to use that when I put on a new seal. This current seal just doesn't look very wide. I don't know how the new ones compare.

Latest posts

Back