• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Documentation needed for transponder change

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 19452

Reaction score
I had my old transponder (Garmin GTX320) and encoder (Terra AT3000) removed by an A&P IA from my Cherokee 180. He installed a new encoder (AKC A-30.5) and a used Garmin Transponder (Garmin GTX327) that he had on hand. He bench tested the Transponder. He did a pitot static/altimeter check (FAR 91.411 and FAR 43 App. E) and transponder test (FAR 91.413 and FAR app F)

Do I need an 8130?
Do I need a 337?
Update equipment list? Seems like a no brainer but that's who I am 🙂
Keep old weight and balance and call the weight change negligible?

As the aircraft owner, I just want to be sure that my papers and log books are correct. I'm a bit unclear, obviously, of when an 8130 is required. I somewhat understand the 337 but do I need that for certificated aircraft that is getting certificated parts installed? Maybe I don't understand? 🙂

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back