• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Do you fly with a SPOT? Are you covered?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Last year I bought a SPOT tracking beacon to use exclusively in my aircraft. I bought the optional GEOS Search and Rescue Coverage which covers you for $100,000 in the event SAR is needed.

I am about to renew my SPOT membership, and was somewhat surprised to find out that this coverage excludes private aircraft!! See the GEOS website: www/geosalliance.com/sar for details.

It turns out that GEOS will authorize additional SAR resources without your knowledge or consent if you have activated the 911 feature and if they deem it necessary. If you don't have the insurance (or even if you do and are in an airplane) you may be held liable for SAR charges.

My question is: is there any point in purchasing this optional coverage? Has anyone else looked into this and have any advice?

Thanks in advance to the contributors to the forum.

Latest posts

Back