• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Distant weather

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arkvet

Reaction score
I'm not referring to mileage. I'm talking about medium to long term forecasts and planning for cross countries.

I'm still trying to educate myself on weather more and more all the time but i really struggle with interpreting much beyond the 3ish day window. Wondering anyone would want to take a stab at my upcoming trip and tell me their thoughts.

Plan is to fly out of PGR (northeast Arkansas) and head towards gulf shores (JKA) tomorrow am. Weather looks pretty good for that trip. My assessment says the most likely hang up could be some scattered T storms as we get closer to the gulf but overall should be able to make it no problem even if another stop to wait out weather is necessary. Will obviously carry plenty of fuel.

The much more challenging thing to look at is the trip home. Tentatively prepared to return Saturday the 13th but would have no issue adjusting that +/- 1 day for weather. If the weather heavily favored a delay / adjustment of more than the +/- 1 day we would probably drive.

As usual the forecast is for scattered thunderstorms in the gulf region from now till... September I think. Lol.

I'm not IFR rated but honestly wouldn't put a ton of value in that anyway as with thunderstorms I'd really want to maintain VMC the whole trip anyway.

Anyone that's familiar with the terrain along my route knows that it's flat so I don't have to deal with any significant obstacles at all.

I'd just like some insight on how you guys would go about looking at that Saturday return trip. I generally look at every available imagery source on foreflight but like I said beyond 3-4 days there just isn't much to go on.

Anything that suggests there will be a super low ceiling vs just a heavy scattered mess that I can navigate around?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back