• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Decal Question PA28-140

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dear All!

This is my first thread in this forum and the more than valuable information I got since the last two years from the whole comunity have been fantastic and a real help for me so far.

I have fulfilled my dream of being a private aircraft owner in 2017 by buying a 1973 PA 28-140 in the end at the age of 53 after flying since more than 38 years already. My home base is in Northern Germany, it is a Dutch registered plane (PH-TYD) but this is not an issue to fly and own for a German licensed pilot here. It is in an extremely good condition with less than 3000 hours TTAF and around 800 hours engine time since overhauling in 2009.

My purpose is to keep the original condition and patina as much as possible as I do not want to loose the character of an old plane as it is. E.g. it has still the old bluish textile covered seats in good shape which look awesome to me. Of course I am taking care of some modern devices which are helpful as GPS etc. but I would like to keep the old steam gauges in any case.

I intent to restore the plane very carefully and I would like to partially repaint the front part means cowling etc.. The original paint scheme in this area should be kept. I had discussed this with my shop and we will start with the needed works around next May. The problem is, that the two former owners have already done some related work but not regarding the initial painting covering these parts. The first owner has passed away so no chance to get an information about this anymore. Any information about the former 73' Piper paint schemes for a 140 in generall or in a particular case are not easy to get as you never know what has been already re-painted over the years.

As far as I could find out from the only old blurred picture I have is, that there had been some decals "Cherokee 140?" formerly placed on both side of the cowling. How can I get to know how they really looked like? What reliable source supplying the needed decals and also granting the right dimensions would you recommend? Does Piper still have some kind of an archive providing information about old paint schemes? Can they maybe somehow help or assist?

Looking forward to any information!!

Matthias

To give you some idea about the subject I have enclosed some pictures:

PH-TYD is my plane. The sticker was offered on E-Bay, no idea about the quality and dimensions...

PS: The indian head was an idea by myself after owning the 140 for some weeks I would not follow again...:)
PH-TYD.JPG
Sticker140.jpg

Latest posts

Back