• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Dakota still has high CHT's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is So.Cal, temps have been pretty warm these past few days but mechanic/s feel it's not unbearable when OAT was at 84 degrees -- (at 5k)
We've been dealing with high CHT's for as long as I remember, and I brought up the idea of putting a spacer for the #2 cylinder as shown before in these forums, but they weren't keen on that idea, although I believe he said it would be good to try anything. Baffles changed and appear new, light doesn't shine through but still getting CHT's especially in climb around 415 to 440 on just about all cylinders but especially 2, 3 & 5
Oil filter is new, vernatherm changed and new (no change to temps), pressures all look good etc. As it's an 0-540, I don't run LOP but at 100 ROP which is very smooth and when straight and level after :15 min cylinders settle down around 380's or so.

There is a mod which I've enclosed with this note that shows vents on many of the Dakotas I've seen here as well as the Cherokee 6's which the mechanic feels would be a good alternative. What he's asking is if anyone has either an STC, or approved field mod that he can reference and show to the local FSDO so as to have these vent units installed on my machine.
Note: We did take Orest's idea of removing the rear nose gear fairing off and that indeed helped for about 5 degrees -- not much but something - thanks again Orest !

So, anyone having a Dakota that has vents on the sides, would you let me know how the modifications were done ? What year is your aircraft ? as we're working with a 1979 plane --
BTW, had mods done with the install of the GFC500 and G5's -- awesome if anyone wants to know.

Thanks everyone
Bob

Attachments

• Dakota grill vents.jpeg
    Dakota grill vents.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Baffle mod for Cyl 2.png
    Baffle mod for Cyl 2.png
    441.3 KB · Views: 69

Latest posts

Back