• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

D3000 Magneto harness Cap question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klr94ss

Advanced Aviation Reno
Reaction score
I just replaced my magneto/spark plug harness on my PA32RT and it has the D3000 Dual drive mag. The harness I found was a NOS cap and harness. The new cap has 8 bolt holes that match to 8 bolt holes on the Magneto housing itself. The one I took off had 4 bolt holes in the four outside corners and the other 4 holes were plugged with a rivet to fill the hole. So, we got 4 new bolts and were able to put all 8 thru the cap into the MAG and they all torqued properly. We were not sure why the 4 were plugged on my old cap and though it might have just been laziness or something. So, another PA32RT came into the shop today and I looked at his MAG (we are diagnosing ignition noise thru the radios) and his also has just the 4 bolts thru the cap to the MAG and the other 4 holes were plugged in a similar manner as my old one. I looked up pictures of new caps and they also only have 4 holes.
Is there a reason the removed the 4 inner holes and do not want bolts going thru there? Mine runs like a champ with the new harness and I've not noticed any issues, but I'm worried about why they didn't use those 4 holes. Were they originally used and then there was a service bulletin or AD to remove them or something as they may have been causing an issue inside the Mag itself or something like interference with the internal workings, or spark arcing to them or something I just haven't though about. I have been searching but cannot find any bulletins or anything.
If anyone knows the answer to this question please let me know.
Thanks,
Bryan

Latest posts

Back