• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Cylinder #2 high CHT fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If your cylinder #2 (most forward, on the pilot side) runs 50F hotter than the rest, this will tame that issue.

Common on 4-cyl and 6-cyl Lycomings, in Pipers.

The fix is dead cheap, and takes maybe thirty minutes, but it will likely require some paperwork.

* Orest

Attachments

• Baffle Modification for Better Cooling.pdf
    256.1 KB · Views: 434
Thanks so much sir.

But the attachment talks about the fix but never says what the fix is..

I am assuming its creating space in the front baffles and the cylinders?

If your cylinder #2 (most forward, on the pilot side) runs 50F hotter than the rest, this will tame that issue.

The fix is dead cheap, and takes maybe thirty minutes, but it will likely require some paperwork.

* Orest
Being somewhat technologically challenged, I can’t seem to open this file.

* Orest
I am assuming its creating space in the front baffles and the cylinders?

@Ranchoa It is just a PDF file, use acrobat, or even the default PDF reader installed with your browser.

In any case, here is a screen grab of the relevant pages.

View attachment 24508

View attachment 24509

View attachment 24510

View attachment 24511
I pulled the upper cowling this morning to have a look. And as you described the shrouding is right up against the cylinder. Spacing it out from the cylinder may be slightly more involved on the Archer as the shrouding is securely fastened to numerous mounting points. I’ll have my AP look at it tomorrow.

Attachments

• 785FB8BD-3902-42B5-A701-16A591ABCBDF.jpeg
    785FB8BD-3902-42B5-A701-16A591ABCBDF.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Actually, it looks just about exactly the same. As it shows in the pics, all you need to do is unscrew the lateral screw, bend the top edge forward, and refasten the screw but with a spacing bushing.

* Orest

It will flex in the middle to provide the gap after you remove the corner screw, flex it forward, install the bushing, and reinstall the screw.

Latest posts

Back